Monday, November 15, 2010

on Transparency & Ripping the Veil

While on one hand I am entering a period which requires me to be social, on the other, the subconscious calls again.  I will have to maintain balance.  I agree with John Fowles observation that "Time is not a road, it is a room," and as my time fills up with social activities, I am pulled away from the visions, concepts, poems, writing which is bubbling up form the subconscious. Some of it valuable information, it may have taken years to process. some of it which needs to be thought out, recorded in poems, the novels, art. I'm tempted to shut myself away again, become hermit like and create, but it's also a time of reaching out and sharing, meeting and learning from others. What will happen when these new influences converge with the steam of observations, with those little awareness moments?  Will I rebuild, transform, rebirth? As I read the journals of Anais Nin, go back to Fowles and The Magus, and feel pulled to rewatch movies like "Stay" and "The Libertine" (movies where the plot involves an individual who must live outside society, both in their personal extremes. And as society and some of its systems summon, I feel pulled to do just the opposite, retreat into the worlds I know, the second reality, the world behind the world, which so many other authors, poets and artists have seen, Salman Rushdie, Carl Jung, Thomas Moore,  Fowles, Rimbaud, Baudelaire, Keith Flynn, Anais Nin, Neil Gaiman, Umberto Eco, Brian K.Ladd.  More and more I see the mentions, the hints, the nods, in films, in contemporary novels.  I am just now noticing or are they trying to tell us something beneath the story lines and song lyrics?   
As I embark on my lunar moth series in the novel, poetry and art (the lunar moth as a sign of the veil's transparency,) I go deeper and deeper and like Jung discover even more layers, even after I thought I had gone as far as I could.

Lunar Moth Lessons

In emergence
from hermitage,
I hide behind costumes, hats,
names - run away to
sideways cultures
sub-societies,
only to learn
I’ve taken that first
hard-to-reverse step. Summoned
by yet another system.

I seek the awake moments, 
(as fragile as mist on an Atlantic breeze,
as it dissolves when I look away),
to reteach
me to avoid
such betrayal -
stay handbound
with the subconscious.
Remain aware
by looking in:
deeper than ether.

Reminder:
side step reality’s hypnosis,
indoctrination,
loss of self.

Become transparent
luminous
more illusive
than a lunar moth on a cloudy day.
Only then can one walk through
the glass doors of reality,
                       find the numinous self -
                                                    take wing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics