Thursday, March 5, 2015

Anderson Arts Center Warehouse

My friend Mark and I took a small road trip to Anderson, South Carolina to check out the
Anderson Cultural Arts Center Warehouse. (Shown in this wonderful photo by Gbrill.)
On the way, I stopped in at SOS Thrift store and found a heavy, sturdy dark wood table top easel.  It was marked for $25.00 but I got it at 25% off for senior  citizen Tuesday.  What a great deal and I'm already using it since I've  been  painting in both the kitchen and my studio while I work on "Dianna" and "Tina.  It helps to have at least two pieces going while I'm waiting for drying time to start  next steps.

Anyway, back to Anderson, The Art Center is beautiful, set in what may have been an old mill building right in downtown on Federal Street.  There is a gallery downstairs and two very large galleries with huge windows upstairs.  The mill is restored but with much of the industrial look intact including machinery. It was the first day of their annual youth exhibit showcasing thee work of students from kindergarten to high school.  When I learned this I was disappointed because I wanted to see adult art and get some inspiration and idea of what the artists producing Anderson.  But it only took a few minutes to be happily wowed by the talented works of these young people.  It was an amazing show, all the way up from four year olds.  The creativity was amazing and the  technical skill often rivalling that of adults.  We spent more then and hour and a half there, enjoyed talking to the young artist and  teacher  manning the gift store and viewing the works.  What a great experience for the community and the artists who will never forget seeing their work hanging on those beautiful walls.
It just shows what a progressive group of artists and curators they have in Anderson and I hope the Greenville Center for the Arts has visited Anderson's center to get ideas.  https://www.facebook.com/GreenvilleCenterforCreativeArts
Mark and I walked around downtown which has really cool architecture from the turn of the century1920's, and art in public spaces such as their fish and art-covered trash and recycling receptacles.  We visited Gallery 313 and Pazzazz Consignment a cool clothing consignment shop Braddy and Blake, a fashion store,  as well as a small grocer, the Village Store which had very low prices on their wine.  We stopped and ate at Dolittle's, a cool pub with a great, menu an delicious reasonably priced food.  It was a great day with lots of high points and the first time I've been out of town since I goy sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics