Thursday, February 24, 2011

Princess of the Valley of Butterflies

It has come to my attention that creating art lately often means that I'm also writing - just not writing it down.  This weekend I took time off from the novel to crate a handmade book for my granddaughter.  I've made a number of these mini books, photo albums, journals, what have you, but not one of her, for her yet and I have so many photos of her.  However, like many with digital cameras do, I've let them stay on the computer.  So I took this spring like weather (my daffodils are blooming)  and started her book which revolves around butterflies since her name. Kendall Vanessa, means "Princess of the Valley of Butterflies. 
It became a two day marathon session, most of it in the zone, a tiny bit replenishing supplies, which I did more than food, and a completed 10 pages so far. This type of book, making everything, including the book pages, the letters, and many other items. Perhaps, because I've done so many I come up with the various stages working on one page at a time on many of the steps, i.e., choosing the photos, color theme, accents.  But then I start a second round where I go back in one fell swoop and add all the lettering and wording, make the tags, add bling such as Swarski crystals and both Prima and handmade flowers.  Additional add-on embellishments were K & Company butterflies and dragonflies, Tim Holtz tickets and metal charms.   I used my new Sizzix machine to die cut Tim Holtz grungeboard letters and accents and also used pieces form his elements collection and embossed many of the pages with Tim Holtz, Sizzix and Cuttlebug dies and then accented them with Distress inks and Perfect Pearls embossing powders to get that 3-D look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics