Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Art, ducks and Flowers!

This weekend I took a step away from art and writing to once again experience life - to enjoy wonderful events and lots of great and talented people. Friday night, another Mark, Lindy, another Gail, and my granddaughter, Kendall and I ventured out into Greenville's First Friday Art Crawl in the Pendleton St. District and encountered amazing and beautiful local art, pottery, photography, metal sculpture and even embroidered silk scarves from such artists as Dabney Mahanes, Suzanne Vitti, Shane Bryant, Glen Miller Susannah Melee, and Kavita's (also known as Urban Peacock) one woman show at my old stomping ground The Village Studios .  It was Gail and Lindy's first  art crawl and they loved it.  I ran into my Fissure sidekick, Shaggy, who is an incredible surrealist artist in his own right and can't wait until his show on May 27th.
Saturday it was off to the annual Ducky Derby with my granddaughter, Kendall, who had a great time, doing lots of arts and crafts, seeing the wide variety of entertainment and of course watching 10,000 ducks coming sailing down over the fall of the Reedy River.  Her favorite part of the day was when she and about seven other boys and girls between the ages of 5 and 9 became on the spot duck rescuers, standing at the edge of the river, tossing stranded ducks back into midstream so they could race towards the finish line.
Then Sunday was a great Mother's Day, restful low key with my daughter, Beth, my son, Jeff and Kendall. We grilled out and caught up on each others lives, watched some of Jeff's videos from the travels of his Snakesession skateboard team  and talked gardening and flowers.  My porch is now a sumptuous outdoor arboretum, thanks to their gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics